Frequently asked questions.

When you file your tax return, the CRA will review it and send you a Notice of Assessment. If you filed electronically, standard time to issue your notice of assessment is within 2 weeks of receiving your return and any required supporting documents, and if you mailed in paper copies, it would take eight weeks (or more). Returns may take up to 16 weeks if you live outside Canada and file a non-resident personal income tax return.
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) says that it takes about 2 weeks to process the tax returns.
The amount on the requested line number can be found on the tax return summary that we sent you for reference after your tax filing.
If your account has been locked due to too many failed attempts to use your password or user ID, the CRA’s first recommendation is to contact them. They will be able to provide you with a new password to assist you in resetting and logging back into your account.
We can assist you in updating your address with the CRA during your tax filing. In all other cases, you can either contact CRA to update your address or direct deposit information, an agent may help you make these changes through a secure online channel such as My Account or you can update yourself through your CRA My account, as they won’t allow the representatives to update your personal information once after the tax filing.
You should have received most of your slips and receipts by the end of February. However, you may not receive your T3 and T5013 slips until the end of March.
Even if you do not have to attach certain supporting documents to your return, or if you are filing your return electronically, keep your supporting documents for six years in case the CRA asks you to provide them later.
The CRA will charge you a late-filing penalty if you file your tax returns after the deadline and you owe tax that remains unpaid at that time. The penalty for your current year late-filing will be 5% of your tax balance owing, plus 1% of your balance owing for each full month your return was filed after the deadline, to a maximum of 12 months.
New immigrants can apply for GST HST Credit Application.
The goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit is a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with low and modest incomes offset the GST or HST that they pay. It may also include payments from provincial and territorial programs like Ontario trillium benefit for Ontario residents.

For more information on that letter, you must call the number listed on the last page of the letter you received.
If you need any further clarification, please send us the letter to contact@cnotetax.ca.

To become eligible for Northern Ontario benefits you must be reside in the districts of Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury (including the City of Greater Sudbury), Thunder Bay, and Timiskaming.

The most likely reason you did not receive the benefit is that you did not respond to the letter you received from the CRA regarding the more information request.
Since the tuition tax credit is a non-refundable credit, it may help you to lower your tax bill if you owe taxes on any income you’ve made. If you don’t utilise the entire credit, the balance will be carried forward to the next tax year or passed to a family member who qualifies.

You can claim moving expenses you paid in the year if both of the following criteria apply:

  • you moved to work or to run a business at a new location, or you moved to study courses as a full-time student enrolled in a post-secondary program at a university, a college, or other educational institution
  • your new home must be at least 40 kilometres closer (by the shortest public route) to your new work location or school
Any income you earn in the RRSP is usually exempt from tax as long as the funds remain in the plan; you generally have to pay tax when you receive payments from the plan.
Contributions to a TFSA are not deductible for income tax purposes. Any income earned in the account (for example, investment income and capital gains) is generally tax-free, even when it is withdrawn.
Yes, even if your spouse is not in Canada, you must provide basic information about him or her, such as first name, last name, and date of birth, for tax purposes.
The Canadian tax system is based on residency. So, if you are in Canada on the 31st of December of the fiscal year, you can file taxes for that year.
No, you may apply for GST HST Credit at any time. It does not have any deadline.
Even if you haven’t worked, you can claim your benefits by filing your taxes with a zero income.

You can contact us at 416-303-3600 or pass your inquiries through contact@cnotetax.ca

We provide a wide range of tax related services. For more details, click here.

No, we don’t create CRA accounts for individuals.


We offer professional tax return services to wide range of clients in Canada,
which includes and do not limit to:


We have alot of happy faces leaving our
office every year.



Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp

× Click for help